View Single Post
Old 05-13-2011, 12:31 AM   #1 (permalink)
ImperialExotics

BananaBucks : 26,385
Said "Thanks" 2 Times
Was Thanked 65 Times in 34 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 2 Times
Default Rooting cuttings

I saw a very old thread onb the topic and didn't really want to necro post in a dead thread.

I have tried numerous methods, and have found the best solution for cuttings is just plain coco soil and covered with a dome. Nothing else. Mist frequently, one a week or so I mist with aquarium water. Yes, as in the dirty water drained from a tank a few times a week.

I get pretty darn close to 100% success every time.

After a few weeks, depending on species, I plant very thick nearly root bound masses into new containers. (aquarium water is better than any purchased fertilizer from my experience)

Lately I have found a killer growing medium that was suggested to me by an Orchid grower, 32oz. Polypropylene cups, holes drilled in the sides 1" from the bottom, and filled with Hydroton (clay pellets)

Hydroton has great wicking action, and water pools an inch deep in the bottom of the cup. It has proven impossible to over water the plants, and the water in the bottom of the cup helps maintain perfect moisture.

I have a few bananas planted this way that are growing silly fast, and have very extensive root growth with virtually no maintenance.
ImperialExotics is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To ImperialExotics
Said thanks:

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors