Bananas.org

Welcome to the Bananas.org forums.

You're currently viewing our message boards as a guest which gives you limited access to participate in discussions and access our other features such as our wiki and photo gallery. By joining our community, you'll have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Go Back   Bananas.org > Banana Forum > Main Banana Discussion
Register Photo Gallery Classifieds Wiki Chat Map Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Banana Discussion This is where we discuss our banana collections; tips on growing bananas, tips on harvesting bananas, sharing our banana photos and stories.

Members currently in the chatroom: 0
The most chatters online in one day was 17, 09-06-2009.
No one is currently using the chat.

Reply   Email this Page Email this Page

LinkBack (6) Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2007, 11:46 AM   6 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1 (permalink)
Tally-Man

Zone: 10
Name: Jarred
BananaBucks : 1,981,053
Said "Thanks" 3,855 Times
Was Thanked 5,075 Times in 1,352 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 2,086 Times
Default Time to separate the pups for the Spring

The following is a step-by-step guide to cutting a pup from a mother plant. This method is very quick and easy and I'm sure if you give it a try, you will be much more likely to move pups around, as you'll find it fast and fun. The result will be many more banana plants colonizing your property, much sooner. And you know what that means. So follow along with me as we seperate a Pitogo huli from it's mother...

Tools required - deep scoop, short handle shovel and a sledgehammer (I usually use a much bigger sledge than this though!).

This is where we will be working. This plant has been growing quite slow for me, so I figure if I remove the pup and move it over a bit, the two stalks won't be competing for the limited nutrition in that area where they are together now. I'll also amend the soil before I'm done.

Positioning of the cut. Place your scoop close to the mother plant that will remain. Notice the pseudostem is nested right alongside the handle of the shovel, touching. The handle is also used to fold the leaf away from your line of sight. Now position the angle of your cut by moving the handle where you hold the shovel away from the mother plant. This gives you an angle that will cut a little bit under the mother plant, or at least cut away from the base of the pup, leaving the most valuable corm material to remain on the pup. This step is important! Line everything up properly.

Sink the blade. With one hand, hold the handle of your shovel in place so you do not tip your shovel and hit your head with the handle when you smack the scoop with your sledgehammer. If you do not hold the shovel steady, it may strike your head violently. Holding the handle in place also makes sure you keep the angle you want.

Here you see the blade is sunk almost to it's base. The corm is severed and now we can lift the pup up and away from the mother.

A look down the incision and we can see the umbilical has been cut. This is when you pump the handle to pry the corm and roots up and out of the ground.

A perpendicular cut is made in this case to assist with popping the sucker out of the earth. Don't worry so much about the roots, enough will remain. What we're after is corm, the potato-like white mass under the stalk.

Up, up, and away.

Now we take a break and walk to get some compost. I use and recommend the UCT-9 compost bins manufactured by Urban Garden Center.

I use the lid as a tray to dump some compost on to carry it back to the planting site.

We're back with some compost.

Using your hands, mix the compost with the surrounding soil and press it down into the hole where the pup was. The roots from the mother plant will bury themselves into the compost and the plant will get a boost of energy for some time to come.

After returning from a trip to the compost barrels, we prepare a new planting hole not far away from the mother in the same manner, amending the soil with additional compost.

The finished product. Now we have two happy Pitogo banana plants, they won't even know what hit them. You can water at this point or just wait for rain.

The whole process can be done in under five minutes.
If you follow these steps, you will have great success in propogating bananas and you will see that by doing this often with your plants whenever the chance arises, the long term effect is plenty of plants that will grow taller, faster, and will be spreading the yard as fast as you can move them around.

Update: there were also some videos added on page three of this thread showing the pry bar method. Pasting the videos here as well:

Last edited by MediaHound : 06-17-2010 at 04:55 PM. Reason: added the pry bar method of removing banana pups videos from page 3 to this first post also
MediaHound is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To MediaHound
Said thanks:
2woodensticks, a.hulva@coxinet.net, abjones116, alias, austinl01, Backyard Banana Joe, banana13, bananahound, banfan, beck5711, Bgross, BIGDAWG69, billykelly, Blake09, Bob, Bobanana, brydon1, caliboy1994, chasbear, cherokee_greg, Chironex, chrisltropical, Clare_CA, conejov, CookieCows, curriedrice, CValentine, dablo93, Danaji, davidjward, Dean W., divernaz, donnie, douglas gray, dpren3275, Dproc22, Fbris, Fiberflair, FranH, Going Bananas, Grannycore, greene33, GreenFin, Greg Jordan, halbaby7, hanabananaman, has a dream, HUTCH0723, Iunepeace, I_GROWER, Jack Daw, JERICO, Jonifg, Jose263, jpfloors, judi1919, kcj1219, Kelly00077, kgardens, KristoB, LILDI_32, lk-in-central-florida, magicgreen, Mikesan, mikesher, MJBanana, momoese, mswillis5, Munind, mushtaq86, natej740, Naz, Nius, NSW Bananas, oakshadows, orinoko, Ornataboy, Pallen, pjkfarm, PR-Giants, RAPOZiNHO, Red Sky, RedneckHippie, Rick H, rmuhleck, RRedBBeard, saltydad, sam davies, sashaeffer, scottu, scubanana, Simply Bananas, sirdoofus, Sk, smurf428, SoBe Musa, southernbanana, Steve Mitchell, steven, Stonefox, Sylviap, T-Black, The Grove at Bo's Cove, thebes11, Tiare, tldavis, travaniaj, TRAY, Utahguy, willholly2, Woodsey, Yug, Yuri Barros, Zalin124

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors

Old 05-09-2007, 01:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

Zone: 9b
Name: Anna
BananaBucks : 213,197
Said "Thanks" 20 Times
Was Thanked 120 Times in 89 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1 Times
Send a message via AIM to AnnaJW Send a message via MSN to AnnaJW
Default Re: Time to separate the pups for the Spring

Excellent tutorial! Thanks so much!!!

Living my life in MMORPG's

AnnaJW is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To AnnaJW
Said thanks:
Old 05-09-2007, 10:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

BananaBucks : 128,766
Said "Thanks" 2 Times
Was Thanked 2,691 Times in 919 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times

Already potted up several dozen this season. I use a digging bar with about a 2-1/2 wide blade. A lot less parent plant root damage than with the spade.
http://webebananas.com
pitangadiego is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To pitangadiego
Old 05-10-2007, 07:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banana grower

Zone: zone 10
BananaBucks : 7,166
Said "Thanks" 3,746 Times
Was Thanked 10,883 Times in 3,309 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 728 Times

Jon, do you use a hammer with the bar or just use your hands?
momoese is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To momoese
Old 05-10-2007, 09:02 AM   #5 (permalink)

Said "Thanks" 2 Times

Nohammer, it is heavy enough to jab in between the pup and parent.

Similar to http://www.acehardware.com/sm-collin...i-1274440.html
pitangadiego is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To pitangadiego
Sponsors

Old 05-10-2007, 10:43 AM   #6 (permalink)
Tally-Man

http://www.leidytool.com
These guys have some good ones, too. They protect you from shock if you have to worry about that sort of thing for the other jobs you'll use it for.

I need to buy a digging bar to add to my arsenal, too.
Old 05-12-2007, 08:12 AM   #7 (permalink)
Banana Patch Attendent

Name: Rmplmnz
BananaBucks : 117,160
Said "Thanks" 2,246 Times
Was Thanked 2,348 Times in 636 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 36 Times

I have seen the digging bars for sale at local flee markets..
Rmplmnz is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Rmplmnz
Said thanks:
Old 05-12-2007, 10:19 AM   #8 (permalink)
Got pink bananas?

Zone: 7b/8a Line
Name: Austin
BananaBucks : 161,274
Said "Thanks" 1,590 Times
Was Thanked 907 Times in 397 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 507 Times
Smile Re: Time to separate the pups for the Spring

Media Hound,

Thanks for posting such a detailed thread. This is great!

Average January Low: 31°F, Average August High: 92°F
Extreme Winter Lows: 5-15°F, Extreme Summer Highs: 100-112°F, Annual Precipitation: 52 inches
austinl01 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To austinl01
Said thanks:
Old 05-12-2007, 11:20 AM   #9 (permalink)
Tally-Man

Thanks, Austin, you're very welcome.
Old 05-13-2007, 11:38 AM   #10 (permalink)

Zone: 11+ I guess
Name: Island Cassie
BananaBucks : 374,052
Said "Thanks" 1,708 Times
Was Thanked 2,079 Times in 874 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 416 Times

Very clear and informative Jarred. Thanks.
island cassie is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To island cassie
Said thanks:
Old 05-17-2007, 09:54 AM   #11 (permalink)
Tally-Man

Welcome, IC!

I just bought a digging bar, these nanners better watch out.
:2687:
Old 05-17-2007, 05:53 PM   #12 (permalink)

Zone: 8b
Name: Frank
BananaBucks : 730,060
Said "Thanks" 212 Times
Was Thanked 1,787 Times in 502 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 131 Times
Send a message via AIM to bigdog Send a message via MSN to bigdog

Nice job, Jarred. I need to get a compost barrel like that. My girlfriend's mom was going to give us hers, but it's the kind that just sits there and you can't rotate it. Kind of pointless if you need to dig into it periodically to get the older stuff.

I have an easier job of separating pups in the spring, Jarred. You see, mine are all under the house bareroot (except for the cold-hardy ones in the ground). I just snap them off before planting, lol!
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To bigdog
Said thanks:
Old 05-17-2007, 06:10 PM   #13 (permalink)

Zone: 8b
Name: Frank
BananaBucks : 730,060
Said "Thanks" 212 Times
Was Thanked 1,787 Times in 502 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 131 Times
Send a message via AIM to bigdog Send a message via MSN to bigdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitangadiego View Post
I use a digging bar with about a 2-1/2 wide blade.
Jon, are you talking about a San Angelo bar? Those things are awesome. I used one to remove a small tree, for crying out loud. Great for difficult jobs, prying stuff loose, etc. Never would have thought about using it to remove a little banana pup, but I bet it does the job very quickly and easily. Those things are like 6 feet long and weigh 17 lbs.
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To bigdog
Old 05-17-2007, 09:32 PM   #14 (permalink)

Said "Thanks" 2 Times

There are a lot of variations on a theme. Mine happens to be a "Roughneck" brand.

see http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=62496 or
http://www.tractorsupplyco.com/detai...roductID=25068
Said thanks:
Old 05-18-2007, 09:52 AM   #15 (permalink)
Tally-Man

That's the exact one I got.
Home Depot, I think it was $27.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:09 AM   #16 (permalink)
Tally-Man

Frank, you can get them on eBay a for a little bit of a discount sometimes vs. getting them directly from the manufacturer. They burn through the material really quickly, keep it moist and in the sunlight.. it gets burning hot and things break down in there quite fast. I did a ton of homework before I decided to get this particular model, I reviewed most all the composters on the market.
I also use a Flowtron leaf eater and a chipper too.

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors

Old 05-18-2007, 10:22 AM   #17 (permalink)
<div style="font-weight: bold;">&lt;div style=&quot;font-weight: bold;&quot;&gt;&amp;lt;div style=&amp;quot;font-weight: bold;&amp;quot;&amp;gt;&amp;amp;lt;di v style=&amp;amp;quot;font-weight: bold;&amp;amp;quot;&amp;amp;gt;&amp;a mp;amp;lt;di v sty

Zone: 8
Name: Keith
BananaBucks : 40,049
Said "Thanks" 18 Times
Was Thanked 47 Times in 31 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 11 Times

Do you like the flowtron, i.e. would you buy the thign again? How heavy duty is it. I bag about 40 bags of elaves a year and would love to be able to use them more effectively.

Keith
Old 05-18-2007, 04:43 PM   #18 (permalink)
Tally-Man

I like it! It does a great job of pulverizing the leaves into a fine, usable substrate.
Keep a screwdriver nearby when you use it, so when the head gets jammed up with fiber, you can easily pop it off and clean it out and get back to mulching fast. It doesn't like damp banana fibers (the midribs), they get stuck, but it still gets them to the point where they compost faster in the barrels, so I don't mind mixing them in if I'm out there shredding things.
Flowtron sells refurbished ones on eBay, their username is flowtronproducs
http://myworld.ebay.com/flowtronproducts
It's built pretty good, it has a circuit breaker and is pretty durable, too. You won't be disappointed if you get one.
Old 05-19-2007, 08:55 AM   #19 (permalink)

BananaBucks : 83,174
Said "Thanks" 4 Times
Was Thanked 39 Times in 28 Posts

fabulous! a great lesson for us novices!
nucci60 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To nucci60
Said thanks:
Old 05-19-2007, 05:47 PM   #20 (permalink)

Zone: 9b
Name: Anna
BananaBucks : 213,197
Said "Thanks" 20 Times
Was Thanked 120 Times in 89 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1 Times
Send a message via AIM to AnnaJW Send a message via MSN to AnnaJW

I am soooo glad you mentioned the diigging tool! I was just out struggling in our clay soil with a couple of shovels, then - DUH - remembered that we have a digging tool! It's making the planting alot easier!

Living my life in MMORPG's

AnnaJW is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To AnnaJW
Sponsors

Reply   Email this Page Email this Page

Previous Thread: Redefining Iholena Ha'a descriptors
Next Thread: Blue java

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.bananas.org/f2/time-separate-pups-spring-1814.html
Posted By For Type Date
Hardy Palm and Subtropical Board: Re: banana questions This thread Refback 03-01-2008 02:36 PM
Bananas This thread Refback 02-13-2008 03:59 AM
How do you separate a pup? - Banana Forum - GardenWeb This thread Refback 02-10-2008 07:38 AM
How do I separate banana pups from the mother? - Tropicalesque Garden Forum - GardenWeb This thread Refback 02-05-2008 08:05 PM
How do you separate a pup? - Banana Forum - GardenWeb This thread Refback 02-04-2008 08:28 AM
How do I separate banana pups from the mother? - Tropicalesque Garden Forum - GardenWeb This thread Refback 02-04-2008 08:17 AM